The National Plan of Action for the Girl Child for 1991-2000, is a specially formulated action plan by the Government of India to protect and promote the Girl Child.
This plan seeks to prevent female foeticide and infanticide, eliminate gender discrimination, provide safe drinking water and fodder near homes, rehabilitate and protect girls from exploitation, assault and abuse.
The key measures planned under the National Plan include:
- Strengthening of the existing primary health care infrastructure
- Consolidation and maintenance of levels of immunization coverage
- Stepping up immunization where coverage is low
- Polio eradication through immunization
- Ensuring essential supplies and drugs
- Training of doctors and para-medical health workers
- Educating women and girls on safe motherhood
- Providing primary education facilities in unserved areas
- Providing child care servicesCommunity mobilization and involvement